Monday, January 4, 2010

Be Diligent in 2010

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him, in peace, without spot, and blameless.  2 Peter 3:14.

I have a tendency to get very excited about an idea, or a ministry, or a goal.  At first, I am into my new venture 100%.  Whatever it is, I am totally faithful.  Read my Bible in a year - no problem, I'm doing two days worth of reading every morning.  Send cards and/or letters to all the people on my husband's monthly prayer list - all cards written, stamped and addressed by the second of the month.  Lose a little weight - piece of (fat-free) cake as I am tracking every single bite I eat and working out like a mad woman.  You get the idea.

Then, little by little, I start to fall behind.  Now, I'm barely getting through the entire reading assignment for the day in my Bible reading program.  Cards and letters are all getting out, but most are postmarked the last day of the month.  As for the diet, my entries are more like summaries vague ideas than detailed entries.  It's not that I care about these things any less, but that their importance is overtaken by day-to-day realities. 

Now of course, every project or whim of mine is not work done for the glory of God.  With some tasks, it's most likely better than my excitement fades and my attention is diverted.  However, when it comes to Bible reading, prayer, extending support for those who need encouragement, I must be diligent and continue on with the same enthusiasm I exhibit at the beginning of a project.  This year I will diligent about being diligent!

But without faith it is impossible to please him:  for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.  Hebrews 11:6.

No comments:

Post a Comment