Friday, February 19, 2010

I Believe - My Calling (Day 4)

4.  I believe that I am to submit to my husband.

Ah, so there it is.  That "s" word.  There's just no getting around it.  God has called me to be under the submission of my husband.  This command is like fingernails on a blackboard to some women.  And yet, there it is, in black and white.  If I am going to believe that ALL scripture is inspired (as I do - but that is for a later devotional) and that I cannot just pick and choose what I believe, then I have to believe this.  And you know what...if I was created for my husband, and if I love my husband, and if I reverence my husband, then why shouldn't I submit to him?  I am under the submission of God.  Whenever I have worked outside the home, I have placed myself under the submission of my bosses.  So, why not submit to my husband?

Here's the bottom line.  I am commanded to follow my husband's lead and, I believe, to give him the final say when it comes to making decisions for our family.  Paul doesn't pull any punches when he writes under inspiration that wives are to "submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)  However, nowhere in scripture am I forbidden from giving my input in all matters of the home or from praying for my husband as he makes decisions.  Further, let's not forget that my husband has a great responsibility when it comes to me and our family.  First, he is called to love me as Christ loved the church, for which Christ was willing to die. (Ephesians 5:25).  Second, he is called to "love [me] and be not bitter against [me]" (Colossians 3:19)  Finally, one day my husband will stand before God and give an answer not just for his life, but for me and our children.  That's a pretty hefty responsibility.  If God is going to hold him accountable for my actions, shouldn't I love and reverence him enough to follow his leading?  I believe that I should.

So, that's it for this week.  Next week I will be looking at my role as a mother (My Ministry).  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment