Monday, March 1, 2010

I Believe - My Faith (Day 1)

So, now that I have tackled my beliefs about my relationships within my home, it's time to look outward - or maybe upward.  As I wrote my chicken-scratch notes for this series and the next (here's a teaser for you - it's My Bible), I noticed that there was a lot of overlap.  I still feel like they need to be separate, but I will apologize in advance if you have a little deja vu feeling after reading next week.

1.  I believe that I am a sinner.

Despite what all of the pop-psychologist, "I'm okay, You're Okay" spouters would have us believe, I do not think that human nature is basically good.  Instead, I believe we are all selfish, sinful creatures who look first to satisfy me, me, me.  I realize that this is not a popular position today.  Our culture is permeated today with the lie that we deserve anything we want because we are worth it.

In the perfect setting of the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve chose to go their own way in direct disobedience of God's commands and sin.  Throughout the Old Testament we see the cycle of sin, repentance, forgiveness, and sin by the children of Israel.  Do a search for the phrase "they did right in their own eyes" and you might just be surprised how many times the same people who saw Moses part the Red Sea chose to satisfy their own desires instead of obeying the Lord.  Paul states it best in his writing to the church at Rome when he states that "...all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment