Friday, March 5, 2010

I Believe - My Faith (Day 5)

5.  I believe that God will return as prophesied in Revelation and that I must be busy with God's work until His return.

God promises in His word that he will return at the appointed time and cast away this "old earth."  So, if I believe that I am now saved and going to Heaven when I die and that God is going to return, I should just sit back and do nothing, right?  Wrong.  God has given Christians a series of commands that we are to follow during our lives.

We are to spread His good news throughout the world.  After His resurrection, Jesus commanded His disciples to "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:  and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." (Matthew 28: 19-20).  We are also to be active in our communities and work to provide for our families.  In Paul's first letter to Timothy, he made it clear that this was expected, telling Timothy that "if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." (1 Timothy 5:8).  We are called to help our brothers in need.  In other words, we are not to sit around doing nothing while we wait for Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment