Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Believe - My Faith (Day 3)

3.  I believe in literal Satan.

Okay, so I don't think Satan is a goofy looking guy who walks around in a red suit with a long, floppy tail carrying a pitchfork.  But I do believe he is real.

I believe that he is constantly tempting us, trying us and trying to convince God that Christians aren't really obedient or worthy of His love.  In fact, an entire book in the Old Testament is devoted to recounting the reaction of one man, Job, as he was tempted by Satan.  In Revelation 12, we lean that Satan was counted among the angels and was cast out of Heaven to the Earth with those angels whom he deceived.

Does this mean that any time I sin I am going to throw up my hands, sigh, and proclaim, "the devil made me do it." Nope.  While Satan has been given this season to walk the Earth and tempt me, it is ultimately my choice whether or not to turn from sin.  But I still believe he is there, and that I must "be sober [and] vigilant; because [my] adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour." (1 Peter 5:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment